About Aberavon RFC
Aberavon RFC was founded in 1876 and moved to its present home, the Talbot Athletic Ground, in 1907.
The side was christened "The Wizards of the West" by a journalist in reaction to the brilliant back play of the 1920's. The well-known red and black hoops were adopted during the 1950’s and the wizard emblem soon followed.
The club have produced a number of Internationals and British Lions, including Allan Martin, and have reached the Welsh Cup Final in 1974, 1975 and 2011.
Since leagues were introduced in 1990-91, Aberavon have been crowned Division One Champions four times (1994-95, 1996-97, 2000-01, 2001-02) and have been in the Premiership since 2003 when regional rugby began in Wales.
Several of the current Ospreys squad have passed through Aberavon's ranks; flankers Justin Tipuric and James King, centre Ashley Beck and scrum-half Rhys Webb. Tipuric, Beck and Webb have all gone on to play for Wales. Tipuric and Webb are both British and Irish Lions tourists.
There are a number of recent Barbarians that have played for the Wizards. Number eight Richard Morris, lock Chris Gittins, outside half Jamie Davies (club record points scorer), Marc Breeze, Ian Moore (club captain) and flanker Chris Davies (former Wales 7’s captain).