Jeffries Joins the Wolfpack

Saracens is pleased to welcome Alex Jeffries to the club on a short-term loan from the Scarlets

The tighthead prop will provide cover in the front-row with both Marco Riccioni and Alec Clarey currently recovering from injuries. 

Aberavon are extremely pleased to see Alex getting an opportunity across the bridge with a formidable European giant in Saracens. The tight-head played 32 games for ‘the Wizards’ scoring 6 tries.

The 26-year-old, who joined the Scarlets from the Ospreys in 2019 has played for Wales at Under 18 and Under 20 level, and will now compete with the likes of Vincent Koch and Sam Wainwright for the number three shirt in North London. 

Jeffries is excited to be heading to StoneX Stadium.

“I’m really looking forward to joining the club, It’s a great opportunity for me and I can’t wait to get started!”

Edwards for Wales 20s

Dan Edwards is the latest ‘Wizard’ to receive international honours as he starts at outside half for Wales U20s against Ireland U20s in the opening game of the U20s 2022 Six Nations.

Ireland U20s V Wales U20s, Friday 4 February, 8pm KO – available to watch on S4C and BBC iPlayer.

The Cwmafan product is currently an Ospreys Academy player, however, this season Edwards made his Aberavon debut and has made eight appearances with a man of the match performance against Carmarthen Quins away.

Edwards is the latest product of the Port Talbot rugby community as the town continues to provide opportunity for children and young men to play rugby.

Aberavon Rugby club contribute to that opportunity by providing the Tata Steel Wizards League for Primary Schools and the Bouygues UK Wizards League for Secondary Schools within the area. Additionally, the Aberavon Schoolboys programme for U11s and U15s provide a natural progression within the sport. A programme where Dan played his rugby.

There are also a number of people that work tirelessly to ensure rugby within the town is thriving and one person in particular deserves a lot of credit.

Michael Dyer currently runs the Aberavon Schoolboys U11 and U15 programme. He works for theWelsh Rugby Union as a Hub Officer in Ysgol Cwm Bromil. Mike has seen many local players grow within the community and excel within their environment.

In the last four seasons there has been a number of players that hail from Port Talbot and have played for Aberavon Schoolboys, Wales U20s and now Aberavon Rugby Club; Jordan Walters (Cwmafan) 37 appearances, Rhys Henry (Cwmafan) 22 appearances, Frankie Jones (Cwmafan) 42 appearances and Rhys Thomas (Taibach) 2 appearances.

Mike Dyer is an extremely proud man.

“It has been a pleasure watching the five boys over the years for their mini and junior clubs and schools. Aberavon Schools have been lucky enough to have four out of five represent us playing wise with Dan playing U15s rugby for Swansea Valley”.

It is the opportunity and legacy that Mike speaks of which is truly where the heart is.

“It is great to see local youngsters have the opportunity to showcase their talents on an International stage.

Hopefully, it can help inspire youngsters in our town”, added Mike Dyer.

In recent years there have been another of players who have represented Aberavon and moved on to play for Wales and the British and Irish Lions, notably Justin Tipuric and Adam Beard. There have been others including James King and Ashley Beck, and of course, most recently Jac Morgan who was named in the Wales’ 2022 Six Nations squad.

Port Talbot Lights Thank You

There we have it. Another year of Aberavon Rugby Football Club facilitating the Port Talbot Christmas Trees’ and Christmas Lights’.

We would like to thank the following for their assistance in removing both the trees and the lights from the town centre.

Miles Hire Ltd for the loan of the platform

CJ Construction Ltd for Richard Morris’s assistance

Pump Supplies Ltd for the hiab lorry and labour.

Rowan and Brandon for helping out.

Port Talbot Foodbank

Every year we support the Port Talbot Foodbank by collecting non-perishable items of food for those in need.

Every day people in the UK go hungry for reasons ranging from redundancy to receiving an unexpected bill on a low income. A simple box of food makes a big difference, with foodbanks helping prevent crime, housing loss, family breakdown and mental health problems.

We have arranged a food collection/drop off point prior to the Aberavon versus Swansea game this week.

If you would like to donate please drop-off some non perishable items of food to the Players Dining Room at Aberavon Rugby Football Club on Thursday 9 December between 1830 and 1930.

Thank you in advance.

Six Nations Tickets

REGISTER YOUR INTEREST NOW!

We will have access to our Wales Six Nations allocation from next week. 

Whether you’re looking for the cheaper tickets that are SOLD OUT on the WRU website, want to buy Christmas presents or just want to support your local rugby club, ask about our availability for the Scotland, France and Italy home games.

Tickets start at £40 each for Scotland and France and £30 each for Italy.

U17 concessions available for Italy tickets only.

We only sell tickets at face value and they’re all on a first come, first serve basis.

Register your interest now at seasontickets@aberavonwizards.co.uk

Christmas in Port Talbot

We are delighted to announce that the Christmas Trees in Port Talbot have been installed.

A big thank you from Aberavon RFC to all who took part:

Richard Morris and Chris Jones – CJ Construction Ltd

Miles Hire Ltd – For Donating the hire of the Cherry Picker

Fabweld Ltd – For making the securing plates for the walk through tree

Pump Supplies Ltd for the labour and transport/hiab vehicle.

And a big thank you for donations received to date from the following companies.

Andrew Scott Ltd

Hale Construction Ltd

Castell Construction Ltd

Port Talbot Cricket Club

Pump Supplies Ltd

Centegreat Ltd

Any companies or individuals who would like to contribute to the Christmas Lights fund (which still has a considerable shortfall) please contact chris.davies@aberavonwizards.co.uk or andrew.john@aberavonwizards.co.uk

Aberavon V Swansea Streamed Live

INDIGO GROUP PREMIERSHIP LIVE ON S4C CLIC

The Welsh Rugby Union will team up with S4C to show ‘The Indigo Group Premiership’ matches live online every Thursday night throughout the season ahead.

Starting with Swansea’s trip to face Aberavon at the Talbot Athletic Ground on Thursday 9th December (7.30pm), a different league game will be shown each week.

All of The Indigo Group Premiership clubs are set to benefit from live coverage at least once in the first seven weekends alone, with the matches to be shown via a new S4C series – Rygbi’r Prem.

The matches will be available online on the S4C Clic player, the S4C Facebook Live page and S4C YouTube page and will also feature on the WRU’s own website and WRU Facebook.

There will be 14 rounds of matches to feast on and, in addition to the Thursday night live game, there will be a weekly highlights show shared across the S4C Chwaraeon and WRU social platforms.

Rygbi’r Prem commentary will be provided in Welsh, with an English language option on Clic and You Tube. Several familiar rugby figures will provide analysis throughout the season, with Whisper Cymru will produce S4C’s Indigo Premiership coverage.

“We have worked closely with S4C on a new and exciting plan for The Indigo Group Premiership which we hope will bring in new audiences as well as satisfy the existing fan-base for the very best of Welsh club rugby,” said WRU community director Geraint John.

“All clubs in The Indigo Group Premiership are set to feature in at least one live match during the season, in a regular slot on Thursday evenings.”

“We expect these matches to be watched in clubhouses up and down the country as the competition builds to its exciting crescendo.”

“Merthyr remain the holders after lifting the title in 2019, before the pandemic curtailed the season the following year. But we have introduced a brand new trophy and welcomed a new title sponsor since that time, so we are now searching for the first club to lift our new Indigo Group Premiership silverware.”

Lauren Jenkins will present Rygbi’r Prem, while Whisper Cymru will produce S4C’s Indigo Group Premiership coverage.

Lauren Jenkins said: “The Indigo Group Premiership has it all; quality players and coaches, fierce rivalries and competitive games full of tries. This is the highest level of Welsh club rugby and it’s the bedrock of the game in Wales. And S4C will be the only place where you can follow the Premiership, so make sure you join us online every Thursday night.”

Sue Butler, S4C Sports Commissioner, said: “This is an exciting new venture and one we hope will attract new viewers to the Welsh club game, as well as providing a window on the league for the regular supporters. We’ve developed our online sports coverage over the past few years, and our live coverage of rugby and football, as well as hockey and netball matches, has proved popular. It’s great to partner with the clubs and the Welsh Rugby Union and to showcase the Premiership.”

Live Online Matches:

Thursday 9 December Aberavon v Swansea 7.30pm

Thursday 16 December Carmarthen Quins v Llanelli 7.30pm
Sunday 27 December Ebbw Vale v Newport 2.30pm
Sunday 3 January 2022 Llanelli v RGC 1404 5.30pm
Thursday 13 January Bridgend v Pontypridd 7.30pm
Thursday 27 January Cardiff v Ebbw Vale 7.30pm

Medical Team and the Flying Fijians

Brian Downey and Osian Griffiths to take on Wales

‘The Wizards’ have a pair of internationals on their hands.

Brian Downey and Osian Griffiths are currently Aberavon Rugby Clubs’ physiotherapists and have been working with the Fijian International rugby team for their Autumn Internationals. They take on Wales today at the Principality Stadium.

This is Brian’s sixth stint with the Fijian team.

“The players and management welcomed me into the squad and we bonded quickly. It helped knowing some of the players from previous trips”, said Brian.

But this time Brian is relishing the opportunity to take on Wales.

“It’s great to face a top tier team and see the boys rise to the challenge. I’m especially looking forward to seeing some of the younger players show their talent. The atmosphere in Principality Stadium on game day is always fantastic”, added Brian.

“there’s no denying I will cherish the moment when the anthems come on at the Principality, and I will for sure be singing the Welsh national anthem under my face mask”

This will be Osian’s first taste of international rugby.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ve loved experiencing rugby at an International level.

It’s been challenging within a short 3-week camp to quickly get to know 28 players personally as well their medical backgrounds, but this has developed during gym sessions, treatment sessions and long travelling journeys”, commented Osian.

Likewise, Osian is very excited about the prospect of facing Wales and speaks of the challenge ahead.

“Wales will be our toughest opponents of all three test matches of this tour, but the boys and coaching staff have worked hard in camp this week to plan for this.

Although I am associated with Fiji for this November tour, there’s no denying I will cherish the moment when the anthems come on at the Principality, and I will for sure be singing the Welsh national anthem under my face mask”, said Osian.

Aberavon are extremely proud of their achievements and their involvement and exposure at international level can only benefit the environment upon their return.

“A big learning for me is ow important it is to have good open communication between players and management to identify potential issues early and nullify their impact.

Also being strict with the squad bubble to prevent any chance of infection in the team”, said chief medial man Downey.

Osian spoke of the learnings around the culture of Fijian rugby.

“The biggest learning experience for me has been adapting and being a part of the Fijian culture throughout the day and evening Lotu, and seeing how their culture is positively implemented into their game and everything they do”.

BRIAN DOWNEY

OSIAN GRIFFITHS

Having characters around the game is really important especially when operating in a COVID bubble whilst being a long way from home. We ask Brain and Osian who the characters were in the group.

“Nicola Matawalu for his humour and energy that he brings to the team on and off the field”, said Brian.

“The player I’ve warmed to the most is Peni Ravai, a gentle giant. He loves to joke and sing, and of course scrummage.

The other evening we were having a sauna in the hotel, he turned to me and asked “do you like The Lion King pal?”, and I said yes, to which he then gave a beautiful rendition of the ‘The Lion Sleeps Tonight’”, commented Osian.

We wish Brian an Osian the best of luck on their journey whilst we send good luck to both Fiji and Wales for todays game.

Graham Young

Aberavon RFC are saddened too hear of the death, aged 81, of our former full back Graham Young who played for the club in the 1960’s and was the leading points scorer for the Wizards for three seasons.

Our sympathies go out to his wife and family.

Mike Griffiths

Everyone at Aberavon RFC will be sad to hear that our former prop Mike ‘Tubby’ Griffiths passed away earlier this morning after a long and brave battle with the awful illness – Motor Neurone Disease.

Mike played for Neath, ourselves and of course his home club Glynneath RFC where he will be sadly missed.

Our deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.